Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Complaining / Pouting....what does the Bible say about it.

In our Bible Study this week Day One was about pouting.....

What do you do when things go wrong? What do you do about it? Do you just accept it and move forward or do you complain?

Sometimes it is easier to be a whiner but it's not a beautiful character trait. The Bible gives us some help to understand why we shouldn't complain and pout.

1. Complaining Can be a Sign of Being Ungrateful

From day to day there are times when we find ourself complaining even about the "smallest" of things (like "I asked for extra ice in my tea mam"). When things don't go the way we want we start complaining and whining.

Complaining shows an attitude of ungratefulness and bitterness. Complaining tests God’s patience.

1 Corinthians 10:10 - And do not grumble, as some of them did—and were killed by the destroying angel.

Job 10:1 - I loathe my very life; therefore I will give free rein to my complaint and speak out in the bitterness of my soul.

2. Complaining Sometimes leads to Disobedience.
3. Also after complaining then comes the pouting.

The more we complain the more we lose sight of the many good things that God does in our life every day. This will lead us to an attitude where we lose faith in God and we can cause others to lose faith too.

Psalm 106:25 - They grumbled in their tents and did not obey the LORD.

We need to be Keeping a Positive Attitude as much as possible, not let "things" bother us to the point of complaining/pouting.

Things will go wrong in our life. We can spend our time complaining, taking our eyes off of God, or we can find a way to make things better. We can remember all the things God has provided and blessed us with and not only will we be happier, but we will be a positive Christian example to everyone around us

Ephesians 4:29 - Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

I have to admit I have had my share of complaining and pouting in my life, but I'm sick of it.
God has really shown me for about a year now how to rid my life of both. No I'm not completely there yet but I've made tremendous progress and intend on doing everything I can to get rid of it forever. I want to make "positive" influences on others and let them see Jesus in me, so that they will want Jesus in them.

I know that I will not be able to completely rid myself of complaining and pouting because I'm human and Satan somehow finds a way to show his ugly horns in all our lives.

But I can say "I'm giving it my best", Thank you Lord for what You are teaching me and how You are leading me.

2 comments:

heartforJesus said...

Thank you for listing these versus. Jesus put it on my heart to find scripture related to complaining last night. I appreciate your work. Our Father has made unimaginable changes in my life and continues to do so. Praise the Lord for He is Good.

heartforJesus said...

Thank you for listing these versus. Jesus put it on my heart to find scripture related to complaining last night. I appreciate your work. Our Father has made unimaginable changes in my life and continues to do so. Praise the Lord for He is Good.