Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Are you confused?

Tonite I received a phone call asking if I could come to church to help counsel with the kids at VBS. They were going to have a time of decision and needed as many counselors as possible on site in case there was a lot of response.


The pastor gave them the information they needed about making a decision to receive Christ, he told them a prayer they could pray if they wanted to accept Jesus, then when he asked them to raise their hand if they said the prayer it was amazing to see the number of kids that raised their hands. Us counselors who were waiting in the wings to be ready were in awe to see the number of kids who raised their hands. We were thinking we don't have enough people, we need help.


All those kids came forward and we took them back to the counseling area and when we got back there one of our deacons asked them again this question: "How many of you accepted Jesus and have been baptized before tonite" about 3/4ths of them raised their hands.


They are so confused about the real decision they are wanting or trying to make. Many of them came forward because their friend did, many came because they just wanted to get up and go somewhere, many came because they thought they would get something to take home, many came because they didn't really know why, many just said he said if I said the prayer and I did so I came but they also told us (I've said that prayer many times).


The biggest reason we see kids so confused about the topic of "being saved" is because they are not taught about Jesus or salvation in their home and many times these kids who come to VBS don't attend church but a few times a year so it's like fresh and new for them each time they come.


You know what, kids are not the only ones confused about salvation adults are too. Many don't understand that you only have to ask him into your heart (one time and only one time).

Many think they are going to heaven just because they are good, many think God will not send anyone to hell. Oh the reasons I have heard over the years would astonish you.


But how about you, the one reading this right now. Are you confused or do you KNOW the Lord as your Savior, do you know if you died right now where you would spend eternity?

If you think you have made that decision in the past but your life has not changed, there is not fruit growing, then maybe you need to have another talk with God.


Or maybe you've never made a decision at all. How about today, right now, don't die without Christ, He is knocking on your heart and wanting to come in. Won't you let Him?

All you have to do is ask him. Here's a prayer you can say to Him:

Dear God, I have sinned against you. I want forgiveness for all my sin. I believe that Jesus died on the cross and rose again. Father I give you my life to do with as you wish. I want Jesus Christ to come into my life an into my heart. I ask this in Jesus name. Amen

That's all there is too it. Oh but now that you've made that decision. Tell someone about it, make it public about the decision you have made. Go to church, tell the pastor, tell him you want to be baptized, then find a church and begin serving God and watch your life CHANGE!
Oh, what things God has in store for you.

No need to be confused any longer there are answers out there for you if you just seek God and let Him answer your every need, with the first need being "salvation". If you want to see God's kingdom the first step you need to make is a decision to accept Him as your Lord and Savior.

I hope you will let me know so I can pray for you!

2 comments:

Regina said...

We have been bringing 4 children, in addition to our own, to VBS this week. They are all churched children. And everyone of them, except Phillip went to the front last night including Sara, who was saved not too long ago. The same thing happened with Phillip shortly after he was saved, but I was sitting with him so I could stop him from going to the front and then explain to him later why he did not need to go forward, so Phillip understands what Pastor Tom wanted last night was a "First Time Yes" to Jesus as your Savior. And it is up to us to teach him how to continually say "Yes" to Jesus daily. I was not sitting with Sara so I could not stop her, but we did discuss it when we got home. Learning is a process that takes time and it is very important that parents contiune to explain things to their children as they grow and muture. I am very thankful for our church and how they sorted things out in the back room. I was not worried at all that I could not stop Sara from going forward because I had confidence in our church and our counselors that they would weed out the "First Timers". And that I could use the experience as a teachable moment to explain things for Sara. If that was not the case it could really lead our children astray.

As I quizzed the others on our way home it seemed that they simply went because they had prayed that prayer again and the pastor said "if you prayed it, come." And they obeyed. Which in a way blesses my heart every time it happens because it reminds me to come to Him "like a child" fully trusting and obeying without hesitation.

Alot of children do not have parents or a church that will continue to teach them truth, and that saddens my heart. But a seed was planted and that is what God has called us to do. Plant seed and water it. Then trust God to grow that seed and produce a harvest.

Beverly said...

Regina you are exactly right that is what I was saying, it is up to us to continue to show them and explain just like you did with Sara, but I too am saddened by the fact that there are children there that don't have a parent like you that will help them to understand who Jesus is and maybe even be the last time in a while they will even attend church. There are so many adults who struggle with these same issues because they just don't have someone to help them understand. I have a lady in my Sunday School class that still struggles with understanding salvation, and it is up to me and you and all other Christians to help the world understand. It was really an eye opener last night how confusing things really can be but it was also exciting to see how God moved in all of us that were back there helping, counseling and how He gave us just what we needed with each kid. I love ya. Beverly