Friday, September 12, 2008

Peeling a Layer off......

Have you ever really looked at an onion carefully?
Look at all the layers it has in this picture right down to the very center "core" of it. Each layer in itself is as good as the other. You can eat them plain, cut up and placed in foods, fried, just whatever way you want them.




But aside from that there is a lesson that can be learned from an onion.

Just like an onion "we" have layers too.

***There is our outside layer that shows the world what we look like, how we act, just basic stuff.
***Then there is our inside layer, things that we don't necessarily show to the world but people can still see if they really know us, things like how we feel, how we love, how we care, ways we share. Its a layer that shows others who we are.
***Then there is the deep center "core" layer and this layer is typically only seen by God. This is the layer we don't let people in on. This is the layer where we only share with God our deepest feelings, our secrets that we want taken to the grave with us, our hurts, our burdens.

This is the layer that God really works on in each of us to keep us changed, to keep us focused only on Him, to keep us peeled so He can truly work in and through us. This is the layer of our soul where you can find God if you have allowed Him to peel down that far into you!

Here is a poem I read on-line as I was doing my quiet time tonite and how it really helps us to see how an onion teaches us about our person.
The Onion
I was an onion before Christ set me free. Layers upon layers of iniquity. An ugly old onion whose fragrance was strong; That my Jesus bought and loved all along.
Unknown to me what He was going to do. Of what He was planning, I had not a clue. Pulling each layer off one by one. In order to make me more like Jesus the Son.
The first layer wasn't so bad. I saw all the sins that I knew I had. They were easy to fix, just change the way I talk. And learn more of how He wanted me to walk.
Reading His Word, and learning again; How to put aside my life of sin. But the next layer was pulled which hurt more. He was getting closer to the core.
Unknown what He would find there. I simply gave it to Him in prayer. As another layer was removed, He started to cry; Pulling this layer brought pain to my Father on High.
And I was crying over the sadness I felt; The brokenness and all of the guilt. Past memories that I thought were gone; But they were buried under layers disguised in a fragrance so strong.
As onions peel more and more; And they put tears in our eyes as we get close to the core; So my father wept over my pain; Giving me a balm of comfort and strength to sustain.
"NO MORE LAYERS." I would scream. As he continued to peel them off of me. "I'll have nothing left my Lord, what will I do? I'll be nothing but a worthless core to you. "
But He just said "Trust me," and continued to peel I was sure He was blinded to my pain that was so real. Year after year I shrunk more and more; Until all that was left of this onion was a core.
It was then that I began to understand; As the Lord embraced me in His loving hand. He said, now and only now can you be; The creation that will minister before me.
Clothed with the righteousness only from above; Gone are your layers of self so you can be filled with my love. He took my layers of sin, hurt and pain; And clothed me with love, truth and mercy in His name.
Yes, we are all onions, learning with each day; How to overcome as each layer is taken away. Some layers tear and pull at our heart; While others grieve us to our innermost part.
But we are nothing but an ugly onion without Christ. Layers upon layers of pride, sin and strife. Only God can take those layers away. And clothe us with His righteousness in that final day.
Author Unknown
How about you, have you been peeled lately? and if so what has God shown you as He was peeling through your layers?
come on and share with us, click on that comment button and tell us...

3 comments:

About Nancy said...

God is at work peeling layers off me daily. Yes indeed, sometimes it hurts tremendously.
It was good to visit your blog.
Blessings!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

That there sure are a lot of tears required to get to the core of the issue. I've sure cried mine over the years, but He's so worth it, don't you think?

Thanks for visiting the blog. I love your analogy here, and the picture is one that will stick with me for a long while.

peace to you, new bloggie friend.

~elaine

LynnSC said...

Oh Beverly... so true. I loved the part about the first layer was not too painful... we knew that sin was there... but the closer He gets to the core, the more painful the peeling. The closer I get to God the more layers I see that need to be removed, the layers that the world doesn't necessarily see as sin. I want a pure core before the Lord.

Thanks so much for this picture.
Lynn