Thursday, September 4, 2008

Sit Still, My Daughter......

I could not wait to get back on my computer and share what God hit me between the eyes with as I began some quiet time with Him!


Today has been a very difficult, trying, tiring day and first thing this morning my daughter sent me a text message that really began to lift my spirts (John 16:33), then I got an e-mail card from my friend Regina, then a few hours later I received two more e-mails from Jim and Becky Brown who showered me with encouragement. My day just kept getting better at that point.


Then around 3:00 pm I had a meeting at work with some news I wasn't thrilled about at the time but I tried to look at it with an open mind but began to get down again. I didn't get home from work until around 8:30 tonite.


As I began to sit down in the "Word" and I opened my devotional book for today's nighttime devotion low and behold was it exactly what I needed.

The title of the devotion "Sit Still, My daughter" When I read that title I immediately said "WOW" God and then I started to cry. He always shows us just what we need at the right moment in our lives.


He told me that I need to take heed-to pay attention-to be quiet-not fear-nor be fainthearted
He told me that I need to BE STILL....to meditate within my heart....on my bed.....and that my quietness and confidence will be my strength.


In this verse Psalm 37:7a He tells me "Be still in the presence of the Lord and wait patiently for Him to act.".

What He is saying to me is when I dwell on my problems is when I become anxious and angry or upset, but if I would just concentrate on God and His goodness that is where I will find rest and peace.


The quote at the bottom of my devotion stated this:

"Sitting still, Lord God, is so countercultural and so against my nature. Help me to sit still and wait on you to speak and to guide."


I need to learn how to "Sit still" more and learn where to focus my attention, how about you?

don't forget to pray for Michael...read my first blog today(below) for an update on him

2 comments:

Regina said...

I'm still in need of that lesson myself!

Sit still. . .
Rest in Him. . .

See what good things He will do for you. . .for me. . .

LynnSC said...

Sitting still is hard to do... but so important.

"and that my quietness and confidence will be my strength"

How great is that?? God longs to be our strength.

Thanks so much for sharing,
Lynn